Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Grandmother's Gardens

My Grandmother’s Gardens

My memories go back to the feelings and smells that surrounded me, as I took my first steps on the vast green lawn in front of my grandparent’s house in Westchester, N. Y. There is a piece of my heart that remains there in my grandmother’s gardens.

Dearma would take me out with her, as she carefully cut and placed the flowers in her basket. They would, in time, grace the tables around the living room and hold the place of honor on the dining room table.

There were the goldfish ponds with the water lilies behind the house. Stepping stones made it fun to jump over the water. Sitting on the side became mesmerizing as the sunlight played with the sparkling oranges darting in and out of the shadows.

Over by the greenhouse was a stonewall, where the pansies lifted their velvety faces to my inquiring imagination. Pretty little fragrant splashes of color filled me with wonderment. The woodland mosses made soft beds for the fairies and the insects to get cool.

My favorite garden was to the side of the house where the zinnias and marigolds grew. Oh, my! I must have been very small, as they were taller than my head. I would trail behind or skip ahead, surrounded by the brilliance of these sturdy blooms. The scents enveloped me and I was drunk with all the hues. This was sheer heaven.

Over by the patio, lived a white metal figure of a woman with a big bell skirt. She held basket pots of cascading bleeding hearts. So delicate and bold, they beckoned, with their magentas and pinks enticing me to partake of their magic.

Way out there, beyond the lawn and the row of trees and hedges, lay the mystery of the kitchen gardens. We hardly ever ventured that far but, once in a long while, I would accompany Patrick to visit the carrots and other delectables. Patrick was the gardener and chauffer, who lived in a cottage near those gardens.

The happiness I knew, enveloped and embraced by these loving plant beings, became joyous spontaneity. This is where I belonged.

Prema Rose
5/9/09

No comments: