Friday, November 21, 2008

There Was A Time

There was a time when I knew that I could not breathe, that I would be dead, without playing the game with my mother.  The game was my breath. It was my life. I clung to the game for my life.  We all did, my sisters and I. We were little children when we learned the rules.  We played not knowing we played the ace for the grownups around us.

 

I remember one day when she spoke his name. I put my hands on her shoulders and looked her straight in the eye. Blue eye to blue eye, twelve inches away.

 

Clearly and calmly I said,  “If we are going to talk about him then let’s talk about all the things we know about him.”

 

Our eyes flashed. She knew the game was over.

 

Just like that the earth moved.  And I was still alive. 

Jesse

No comments: