Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mountain Morning

The slight breeze still cools my skin as the morning sun is warming.  It will be too hot later but now is the time to be out enjoying the air, smells and sounds that filter in through me.  The rufous hummingbird arriving mid-July, as usual, took over both feeders.  He has a way of running the show even though the others have been here since early May.  His stunning color makes up partly for his bossy behavior, though I doubt the Broadtails and Calliope's feel the same.  I had the pleasure of holding a baby Calliope in June when she crashed into our sliding glass door.  Sooo tiny.  Such a gift to hold this being of splendid color as she reoriented herself back to flying ability.  I sat for twenty minutes in awe before she took flight.  The broadtail's have cleverly figured how to send in two or three of themselves so the Rufous can chase one or two and the other one gets a moment to eat.  It's all about getting to eat. 
The chipmunks eat more birdseed then the birds but this morning the small red fox has come to hunt them.  Luckily for them this fox is not a proficient hunter.  She is jumping up and down, pawing at a pile of rocks that holds her treasure but still no luck.  She is also too friendly as she walks up to me and my cat sniffing my leg and touching my hand as I put it out.  My cat stays relaxed but there have been a few times when they've met outside with me not right there and relaxed would not describe this interaction.  So far the fox thinks the cat has the upper hand but that is sure to change.  They have gotten to know each other on opposite sides of the glass door and kitty is the aggressor.  I try to explain how she gets her food served to her and the fox doesn't and may one day decide she looks like dinner.  I'm fairly sure this is lost on her.  
The black Abert squirrel is just as upset by the fox this morning as the chipmunks.  She, with her tall black, furry ears and the pine squirrels (smaller, grey and vocal) all release a series of loud calls to warn the fox they are not happy with her presence.  After the fox leaves, the pine squirrel runs two inches in front of the cat just to mess with her.  I've seen the chipmunks do the same.  It's a game.  I guess even animals know to have some fun along with all the serious business of eating.  

Mary

 

1 comment:

Hiz Dotter said...

Lovely, you describe the mountain mornings beautifully. I can feel them, hear them, taste them.