Saturday, June 28, 2008

Prose: The World Smells of Peonies

The world smells of peonies, that flowery scent, with a subtlety of roses and cut grass in the background. It wafts in the air as I walk through my neighborhood. Even driving, I catch the peony scents through the open window, delicately sending images to my imagination of English gardens, tea time, floppy hats and Victorian afternoon dresses trimmed with lace.
Conjuring graceful conversations along with cucumber sandwiches, my inner dreamer uses the bountiful spring blooms’ scent to feed some unknown, perhaps earlier experience…some past life maybe, that is also being awakened through my reading material.
Lately I’ve been drawn to historical fiction of the 1700-1800’s English/French time frame. The scent of these flowers seems to awaken, even more, what the stories are suggesting.
Oh that sweet delicate scent of Peonies.
Jyoti

1 comment:

annette said...

I too love peonies ~ they remind me of "the good old days" ~ i hope the root stock i planted this spring turns into sweet smells next year. Thank you!