Sunday, June 22, 2008

Memoir: The Fairie Garden

It is a very wet day in England. I am at the Gurdjieff school at Sherborne and I am working in the garden. I am deep in the mud and with every step, my boots sink and stick. The fine rain and mist envelopes me and I am not feeling too happy about working in these conditions. I am also appreciating the opportunity to get beyond my physical discomfort and actually enjoy the English weather.

I dig up a shovelful of earth and stuck in the mud is a tiny shoe. It is not just any shoe. It is about an inch long and is intrically woven in tiny strips of leather. The toe is somewhat pointed and it is in perfect condition. I stand there examining it and know that it must belong to a fairy. I am deeply awed by such a find. I am tempted to take it with me but it does not belong to me and I must put it back. Some little Being will be looking for it.

No comments: