Sunday, June 8, 2008

Poem: BY HEART

BY HEART

When I sit and try to think
Of what I know by heart,
The task is rather daunting,
I scarce know where to start.
I search the recessed corners,
Some treasures there to find,
And all the other useless junk
That clutter up my mind.
The Highwayman Comes Riding
Once again to inner ear,
And Shakespeare, Keats, and Whitman
Make sure that I can hear.
I know my name and address.
That’s good for one my age.
I hope I’ll still remember them
Before I turn this page.
I knew quite well the Broadway show
I played for two years straight,
But when it closed it disappeared
Somewhere inside my pate.
I know I know a lot of things
I know that I’ve forgot,
And when it comes to access them
I find I just cannot.
I take my Ginko faithfully,
I exercise my brain,
And I am oh so grateful
For what I do retain.
Someday this all will be no more
Than the whisp of passing dreams,
I’ll learn my lines and play my part
For I’m still here, it seems.

Prema Rose

No comments: