Friday, August 8, 2008

Family

Last night we flew kites with our two grandchildren on the beach at Frankfort, Michigan where we are summering. We have been collecting bits and pieces of our childhoods like shells. I love watching my grandchildren play on the beach where my children played, and I in my turn and even my parents and their parents. Five generations of our families have made sandcastles, love and memories on this Lake Michigan sand. The magic is that we are still doing it. Over the years our families have scattered to the winds. Few of us come back anymore.

For me and Jim it has been our home base. We fell in love here under the shadow of the lighthouse at Pt. Betsie one long summer ago when we had no thought to fall in love. It just happened. We married and left to see the world living on five continents on our life’s journey. We would bring our family here to wiggle toes in the sand on common family ground from time to time.

I am happy that our children love this place as much as we do. I love that our little ones are sleeping with sandy feet in their beds under this northern Michigan sky.

Jesse

No comments: